Easy Coq au Vin
Monday 5th February 2018
Easy Coq au Vin
This is a speedy, healthy version of the classic Coq au Vin. Serve it with the Cauliflower, Carrot and Red Pepper Salad instead of rice for a healthy lunch or dinner party menu.
3 Tbsp. sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
100g bacon lardons
100g button mushrooms, sliced
2 medium carrots, chopped
6 chicken breast fillets, cut into large dice
45g plain flour
A little salt and pepper
Sprig bay leaves, optional
2 Tbsp. tomato puree
300ml red wine
300ml chicken stock
To Serve: Freshly chopped parsley
- In a large non-stick frying pan, sauté the bacon until it releases fat and then crisps. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onion and carrot and continue to fry for about 10 minutes, over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion softens. Add garlic and sauté for a further minute.
- Using a draining spoon, transfer contents of pan to a dinner plate lined with absorbent kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan.
- On a second dinner plate, toss chicken in the seasoned flour, to coat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides. You may need to do this in 2 batches, adding the last tablespoon oil when you add the second batch of chicken.
- Return bacon and vegetables to the pan.
- In a jug, combine the tomato puree with the red wine and stock. Stir well. Pour into the pan and bring to simmering point. Give everything a good stir. Add bay leaves if using with the mushrooms.
- Bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked. Serve sprinkled with parsley.