Sneaky Pre-View Recipes from 'Teens in The Kitchen'
Thursday 22nd March 2018
Due to popular demand, I have decided to release 2 of my favourite speedy recipes from my upcoming new book, 'Teens in the Kitchen'. It would be great to hear your feedback on these, especially from any Teens that give them a go.
Please send any feedback to email@example.com
Speedy Tuna and Cream Cheese Pate
Serves: 2-3 but recipe can easily be doubled
It is surprising how quickly you can make a delicious fresh tasting pate from a can of tuna and some cream cheese. I use supermarkets own brand full fat creamy soft cheese, as it tastes really good. This delicious fish pate is high in protein, with some good fats in the fish. Protein and calcium in the cream cheese.
This pate can be served as a starter immediately it is made, or chilled for 20 minutes or so before serving. Also delicious the next day when used as a filling in sandwiches.
Serve with fresh wholemeal bread or toast and vegetable sticks.
To drain tuna easily, remove lid completely using a can opener, then hold lid on tuna and turn can upside down over a bowl. Press lid so that oil drains off. Discard oil.
Use up the remaining cream cheese on toast for breakfast the following day.
Mixing bowl, measuring spoons, knife, spatula, citrus juicer, chopping board and sharp knife, serving bowl, toaster.
1x 120g can tuna chunks in sunflower oil, drained
125g full fat cream cheese, or ½ x 250g tub
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 spring onions, chopped, optional
½ Tsp. dried parsley or 1 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
1 Tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
To Serve: Carrot and Celery sticks, freshly made hot buttered wholemeal toast
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Turn into a small pate dish, cover with cling film and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve with veggie sticks and freshly made toast.
Speedy French Bread Pizzas with Goat’s Cheese
Suitable for Vegetarians
Serves: 4 for lunch or makes 24 canapes
Looking for a super quick lunch to impress friends? Without a doubt, this is the recipe for you. These crunchy pizzas appeal to young and old alike. Carbohydrate, protein fat and fibre are all present.
Serve with a simple green or mixed salad.
Make sure you buy vegetarian cheese if feeding vegetarians.
For a simple dressed green salad:
In a large salad bowl, combine 2 little gem lettuces, washed, leaves separated and spun in a salad spinner with a large handful of washed and drained young spinach leaves. Turn into a salad bowl and add ½ chopped cucumber. In a mug, combine the juice of half a lemon with 4 tablespoons olive oil, a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and a teaspoon of runny honey. Whisk with a fork to combine. When ready to serve, pour dressing over salad. Toss well, then sprinkle over a few pumpkin seeds, and a handful of chopped hazel nuts. Serve immediately.
Bread knife, knife for spreading, sharp knife, chopping board, measuring jug, measuring spoons, sieve and bowl, absorbent kitchen paper, dinner plate, hand held stick blender, grater, salad spinner, baking sheet, oven gloves.
1 large mixed seed wholemeal baguette loaf or other French stick
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsps. tomato puree
1 Tsp. runny honey
2 Tbsps. freshly chopped parsley or 1 Tsp. dried
Salt and pepper
1 x 200g can sweetcorn, drained, then blotted dry on absorbent kitchen paper
1x227g can pineapple slices in fruit juice, drained and roughly chopped
2 x 150g goats cheese logs, I like chavroux, each cut into 8 thick slices
50g Emmenthal or mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Few pimento stuffed olives, sliced if large, optional
About 1 Tbsp. olive oil
To serve: dressed green salad
- Pre heat grill to medium hot.
- Cut the French stick in half widthways, then cut each piece in half lengthways so you have 4 long pizza bases. In my opinion, this is the tricky bit over!
- Arrange pizza bases on grill pan and grill for a few minutes until very lightly toasted. Watch carefully as they brown quite suddenly.
- Pour tomatoes, with any juice into a large jug or mixing bowl. Blitz to a puree with a hand held stick blender.
- Stir tomato puree, parsley and a light seasoning of salt and pepper into the blitzed tomatoes. Stir in the honey.
- Divide the resulting tomato sauce evenly between the four lightly toasted pizza bases, spreading it over evenly.
- Top with the sweetcorn, pineapple, goats cheese and grated cheese, dividing everything evenly. Dot the olives over, if using. Brush or sprinkle the prepared pizzas with the olive oil.
- Grill, watching carefully, until cheese melts and turns deliciously golden.
- Serve immediately with the tossed green salad.
- If serving as canapes, allow to cool for a few minutes then stand each piece of French bread on a board and cut into small slices, using a sharp knife. Serve warm or cold.
January 2019 BlogSunday 20th January 2019
December BlogThursday 20th December 2018
A few hints and Tips to allow you to get ahead and enjoy a Stress-Free Christmas DaySaturday 15th December 2018
November BlogFriday 9th November 2018
Great Hints and Tips for Super AgersWednesday 31st October 2018