Monday 1st October 2018
I think we have all enjoyed the Indian summer which arrived as promised, and lasted for most of September. All in all we have had the most amazing summer this year, and must not complain if it turns a little chilly now, but being Brits we are sure to moan, as always!
I have had very positive comments from those of you who have sampled my Chocolate Brownies. So, by popular request, I am devoting some of this month’s blog to giving step by step instructions as to how to make The Best Brownies Ever. Enjoy! (See recipe section for full recipe.)
By the way, for perfect results, it is important to use the correct size tin and correct oven temperature.
- Prepare the brownie tin by greasing with softened butter and then lining with either grease proof paper or non-stick baking parchment. In both cases, grease the paper.
- Put butter and the chunks of chocolate into a large non-stick saucepan. Leave to melt, over medium heat, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, and using a hand held electric whisk, beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, and doubled in volume. This will take 10 to 12 minutes.
- Beat the cooled chocolate mixture into the beaten eggs and sugar, briefly, just to combine.
- Sieve flour and cocoa powder together, then fold into the mixing bowl using a large metal spoon and a cutting motion. Fold in the ground almonds in the same way.
- Fold in the crumbled chocolate flake, if using.
- Turn mixture into prepared tin, using a “Child Cheater” spatula to ensure you don’t waste a single drop!
- Bake in the pre-heated oven, for 30 minutes, until a little wobbly but just firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and set aside for approximately 40 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack, lined with a clean tea towel. Leave until completely cold.
- Invert onto a large platter and cut into brownies.
- Serve with whipped cream and fruits of your choice.