Easter Feasts - Desserts - Decadent Chocolate Cake
Friday 9th February 2018
Prepare and cook the cake one day in advance, but complete on day of serving. Store cake in an airtight tin, in a cool place.
For the Cake
225g softened butter
225g caster sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
200g S.R flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons chocolate spread
150ml double cream, whipped until stiff
You will need 2x20cm sandwich tins, greased and lined
For the Ganache
175g plain chocolate, I like Bourneville or Green and Blacks
4 tablespoons double cream
To decorate: a few fresh strawberries or raspberries
- Pre-heat oven to 180C, 160Fan, Gas 4
- Prepare the cake. Put butter, sugar, eggs, milk, flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand held electric whisk, on low speed, beat until everything is combined.
- Increase speed and continue to beat for 1 minute, until light and creamy.
- Divide mixture evenly between prepared tins. Level surface and bake for 25-30 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch.
- Turn cakes onto a cooling rack, lined with a tea-towel and leave until quite cold.
- Spread chocolate spread onto 1 cake. Spread cream on top of chocolate spread.
- Top with remaining cake.
- Make ganache – melt chocolate, butter and cream in a medium size mixing bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Arrange filled cake on serving plate.
- Pour ganache over cake and spread with a knife. Decorate with strawberries, if using.