Dinner For 2 - Mussels with Garlic and Cream
Friday 9th February 2018
Serves: 2 as a main course
Mussels in a creamy sauce make a delicious main course for a special occasion. They are quick and easy to cook and fairly cheap to buy. Mussels are now readily available, when in season from fishmongers and most of the leading supermarkets.
2Kg. fresh mussels
120ml. dry white wine or cider
4 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 sprigs fresh thyme
75 ml. double cream
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
To Serve: Crusty French bread, warmed in a pre-heated moderate oven for 10 minutes before serving.
- Scrub mussels well, removing any beards and barnacles from the shells.
- Put mussels into a large bowl. Cover with cold water and set aside for one hour.
- Pour the wine into a large casserole dish or stock pot and bring to the boil.
- Add shallots, garlic and thyme.
- Add the drained mussels to the pot. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Shake pan or stir frequently until mussels open. Using a draining spoon, transfer mussels to a large serving dish, Cover with foil and set aside. Discard any that do not open.
- Reduce cooking liquid by one half by boiling vigorously and pass through a sieve into a clean saucepan. Add cream and bring to boil to thicken slightly.
- Season the sauce to taste. Add parsley. Pour sauce over mussels and serve with the salad and some crusty French bread.