Treats and Desserts - Florentines
Friday 9th February 2018
Makes about 12-14 biscuits
These delicious biscuits are great with coffee or a cup of tea. They make a great dessert when served with strawberries or raspberries and a dollop of crème fraiche.
60g caster sugar
50g plain flour
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon double cream
50g flaked almonds, washed and chopped
50g dark chocolate, I like Bourneville
- In a medium size non-stick saucepan, melt together the butter, sugar and syrup.
- Put flour into a large mixing bowl. Pour the melted ingredients over the flour. Mix well.
- Grease two baking sheets or line with non-stick lining paper.
- Put heaped teaspoons of the mixture, spaced well apart onto the baking sheets.
- Bake at 180C, 160C Fan, Gas 4 for 15 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside for 15-20 minutes to cool.
- Stirring frequently, melt chocolate, broken into squares in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow bowl to touch the water.
- Remove chocolate from heat.
- Coat underside of each of the biscuits with a little chocolate, using a dinner knife.
- Set aside until chocolate hardens. When quite cold, store in an airtight tin.