Bacon and Butternut Squash Risotto
Friday 9th February 2018
This creamy risotto takes a little time to cook but it is well worth it as the result is amazing and really tasty. Serve with a steamed green vegetable such as beans or courgettes.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
200g back bacon, roughly chopped
½ butternut squash, about 350g
1 red onion, chopped
1 stick celery chopped
1 carrot, chopped
350g. risotto rice
1.4 Litres chicken stock, approx.
2 Tbsp. tomato and chilli pesto
- In a large non-stick saucepan, fry bacon, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until bacon releases fat and crisps.
- Meanwhile peel, de-seed and chop the butternut squash.
- Using a draining spoon, transfer bacon to a dinner plate, lined with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in the empty pan and fry squash, celery, carrot and onion for about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return empty pan to the heat and add the rice.
- Over high heat, gradually add the stock to the rice, one ladle full at a time, until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice, and the rice is just cooked but still retains a bite. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Return bacon and vegetables to the pan and stir in the pesto. Re-heat, stirring gently for a few minutes, then serve with a green vegetable.
CHRISTMAS SAVOURY BISCUITS - Stilton and Cheddar CrispsThursday 6th December 2018
From Super foods For Super Agers - Beetroot and Carrot coleslaw with Apple and Pecan nutsSaturday 17th November 2018
From Super foods For Super Agers - Lime, Apple and Pork BurgersSaturday 17th November 2018
From Super food for Super Agers - Crispy Chicken Legs with Savoury Yoghurt SauceSaturday 17th November 2018
Two Cheese and Chive Wholemeal SconesSaturday 13th October 2018