Chocolate Amaretti Cake
Tuesday 22nd May 2018
For May Blog
Chocolate Amaretti Cake
This yummy chocolate cake is delicious served with some fresh summer fruit. Try a mixture of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
I like to sprinkle the washed and drained fruit with a little caster sugar and then add some apple juice and leave the fruits to soak for about 30 minutes at room temperature before serving. Fresh cream or crème fraiche goes well with the cake and fruit.
This cake freezes well for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in refrigerator and bring to room temperature for an hour before serving.
125g good dark chocolate, I like Bourneville
75g amaretto biscuits
100g ground almonds
2 Tablespoons plain flour
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
175g caster sugar
Finely grated zest 1 orange
100g butter, cubed
5 large eggs, beaten
Cocoa powder or sifted icing sugar for dredging
- Pre- heat oven to 180C, Gas 4. Grease with a little softened butter, and line the base of a 23m spring form tin with greaseproof paper. Grease paper.
- Melt the chocolate, with the butter, in a medium size bowl, suspended over hot water. Do not allow bowl to touch the water.
- Put the amaretto biscuits, and orange zest into a food processor. Whiz until biscuits are almost finely ground- I like to leave them a bit gritty.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar together, using an electric mixer, for about 10 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold the melted chocolate and butter into the whisked mixture.
- Fold in the sieved flour and cocoa powder.
- Fold in the crushed amaretto biscuits and ground almonds, until well combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake 40-50 minutes, until cake is puffed up and slightly cracked around the edges.
- Remove from oven and set aside in the tin for 20 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a serving plate. The top will be crisp and cracks easily, so dust with lots of sifted cocoa or icing sugar serve slightly warm or cold.
Christmas Recipe - Extra special Sausage rollsFriday 6th December 2019
CHRISTMAS SAVOURY BISCUITS - Stilton and Cheddar CrispsThursday 6th December 2018
From Super foods For Super Agers - Beetroot and Carrot coleslaw with Apple and Pecan nutsSaturday 17th November 2018
From Super foods For Super Agers - Lime, Apple and Pork BurgersSaturday 17th November 2018
From Super food for Super Agers - Crispy Chicken Legs with Savoury Yoghurt SauceSaturday 17th November 2018