Fred’s Easy Peasy Cheese Scones
Monday 18th January 2021
Fred's Easy Peasy Cheese Scones
Makes 10 scones
This great recipe was sent to me by Joan MacDougall. I am sure that we will all be really grateful to her friend Fred, who gave her the recipe. Both are members of Thetford (Norfolk) U3A.
I have tweaked Fred’s version just a little, using a mixture of both wholemeal and S.R. flour, and adding a little mustard to accentuate the flavour of the cheese. I am sure that once you have tried this recipe, you will almost always make your cheese scones this easy way!
Forget about any cheese that falls off the scones, onto the baking sheet, before you bake them. It will go crisp and golden and is delicious served with the scones!
120g S.R. flour
100g wholemeal flour
1 Tsp. baking powder
60g. mature Cheddar cheese, grated
20g Parmesan cheese, grated
1 level Tsp. dried mustard powder
145ml. whole milk, approx.
1. Pre-heat oven to 230C, 210C Fan, Gas 8. Take out a little of the combined grated cheese and set aside.
2. Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, including the cheese.
3. Reserving a little of the milk to use for brushing over the scones before baking, add milk to the dry ingredients.
4. Using a table knife, mix to a pliable dough.
5. Using your hands, form mixture into 10 even sized balls, each about the size of a table tennis ball.
6. Arrange the scones, spaced out on a large baking sheet lined with non-stick baking parchment or foil. Flatten scones slightly.
7. Brush tops of scones with a little of the reserved milk and sprinkle with a little of the reserved cheese.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden and smelling incredible!
9. Serve as soon as possible after baking, split and spread with a little butter.
Potato and Parsnip Bake with Cheese and BaconMonday 15th February 2021
Vegetable Curry with Chickpeas or SweetcornMonday 15th February 2021
Apple and Blackberry CrumbleMonday 15th February 2021
Orange or Lemon Curd Scotch Pancakes with Crème Fraiche, Blueberries or StrawberriesWednesday 3rd February 2021
Lemon Curd MousseWednesday 3rd February 2021