Orange or Lemon Curd Scotch Pancakes with Crème Fraiche, Blueberries or Strawberries
Wednesday 3rd February 2021
Orange or Lemon Curd Scotch Pancakes
with Crème Fraiche, Blueberries or Strawberries
Makes 15 mini pancakes
Adding lemon curd to the batter, gives these pancakes a deliciously tangy, refreshing flavour. You can make the batter up to a day ahead, and store, covered in the fridge, if preferred, or use it straight away. Just give it a stir before using, if you store it overnight.
A great recipe for Shrove Tuesday, that looks really pretty on the plate or, in my opinion, a delicious dessert for any day of the year.
200g. S.R. flour
50g. wholemeal flour
1 level Tsp. baking powder
100g. lemon or orange curd, I love Cottage Delight Classic Lemon Curd or their Tangy Orange Curd
2 Tsps. caster sugar
grated zest 1 lemon
250ml. whole milk
50g salted butter, melted swiftly in a jug, in the microwave
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
To Serve: Sifted icing sugar, crème fraiche, extra fruit curd, blueberries or strawberries
1. Put both types of flour and the baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
2. Measure the milk into a large Pyrex jug. Add eggs and lemon or orange curd, with the caster sugar and the lemon zest. Beat together well, using a balloon whisk. Beat in the melted butter.
3. Make a well in centre of flour. Gradual
ly beat liquid ingredients into the flour, using a wooden spoon. Continue to beat for about 5 minutes, until a smooth thick batter results. Set aside, or chill in fridge, covered, if preferred.
4. Heat a large frying pan on the hob and add about one teaspoon oil. Swirl around pan. Pour off surplus and retain.
5. Add one soup spoon of the batter to the hot pan, and let it flow into a circle. Add a further spoonful beside it and do the same again. You can probably cook 3 or 4 pancakes together, depending on size of your pan.
6. Let the pancakes cook for about 1 minute, over medium heat, until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over and cook on second side for about a minute, until golden.
7. Transfer pancakes to a warm plate and keep warm.
8. Continue until you have made all the pancakes, adding a tiny amount more oil as and when you need it. You should make about 15 golden little pancakes.
9. Serve immediately sprinkled with a little sifted icing sugar, a dollop of crème fraiche, a teaspoon of lemon curd, per pancake with some blueberries or sliced strawberries on the side.